Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Fan's POV - A Taste of Chicago

hey what up? This is Ernie Layug from "The Fan's POV" and this is a blog that should have been written this past wednesday, but i'm lazy and I forgot to type it up. So, three days later i'm typing up this up now.

May 5th, I arrived to Chicago's Midway on my Southwest airplane at 745am Central Standard Time. I remember going to the baggage claim and seeing that my bags were one of the last to arrive, that was bad. However, I have a good excuse for being late to the claim. I had to take a number one. Anyways, I went to get my rental car and all of a sudden i'm taking a survey of where I work and where am I located. It took over 10 minutes later than it should have, but I got my car on the second floor of the airport. The funny thing is that I was on the South Side of Chicago, where the White Sox reign king, as opposed to the North Side, where the Cubs rule, and I was wearing a shirt that said "Wrigley Field" (where the Cubs play). I was in the elevator with someone and they told me that I was in the wrong part of town. I told him that no one would be saying that as soon as I crossover Madison St. I had a Cubs game later that day.

So, I got into my rental car and i took FOREVER to get to my hotel. Mostly because it was during rush hour and I had to go into the heart of Chicago, in order to check into my hotel in Rosemont. This is where I thank god that my GPS works on my phone. It was a little difficult, but it was able to get me to my destination. When I arrived at my hotel, my first thought was to check in and get ready to head out to the ball game. However, my room wasn't ready yet. Therefore I was stuck looking for the train station. It took me a while, but I got it and on my way I went to see the Chicago Cubs take on the San Francisco Giants. The end result is that they lost the game. Later on that night, I went back to my hotel, checked in and went back to the city to see the Buckingham fountain. It was beautiful and it was where I shot the opening scene to "A Taste of Chicago". I was listening to "Better Days" by Goo Goo Dolls, which is a great up-lifting song and watching it with the fountain was amazing. I suggest you try it one day.

I had to make it fast, cause this was suppose to be up two weeks ago. Anyways, the next day arrives after a good night. I woke up from my hotel room to a packed day of sightseeing and being an annoying New York tourist. The city isn't as packed as it should be for over 6 million people in one area. I ended up going to the top of the tallest building in North America, "The Sears Tower". They said it would take a minute and it did. The view is absoutely gorgeous. You have to go there, whenever you are in Chicago. Before you go up, you have your picture taken. I think people will get a kick out of it when they see it. Afterwards, I went across the river to eat at the original Pizzera Uno's. I was totally excepting it to be packed, however it was a calm day. I'm thinking that it's early spring and not alot of people were ready to go out for a walk, just yet.

After that, I went to the Navy Pier. It's sort of tourist-style area, it reminds me of the Santa Monica Pier. It has a park with a ferris wheel, which I had to go on. My friend Chris is afraid of ferris wheel and I don't blame him. However, I got to the top and wanted to see the view, which was great also. Six dollars, well spent. After that, I headed to Millenmium Park and The Art Institute to finish up filming and then head over to US Cellular Field for a White Sox game. Unfortunately, the game got rained out and scheduled for another day, to which I can not be there for. So, I have to sell my ticket.

Anyways, that was my adventure in Chi-Town. I wanted to visit more, I just did not have the time to do so. Definitely have to take another trip out there with the next year or two.

No comments: